Sunday, January 22, 2012

Perfect Weekends

Well, I've had a pretty calm weekend, but have been keeping myself fairly busy!  Yesterday, I slept in (it was glorious) and decided I was going to go to the coffee shop downstairs and read my kindle and treat myself to a cinnamon latte.  (which is still more manly than a vanilla latte- who gets those?)  Before I hit the coffee shop though, I was distracted by a shoe sale at one of TWO shoe shops in the square.  (and I was worried I didn't pack enough shoes).  I was checking out the sale shoes, and another customer started chatting with me about a particular pair...then asked me if I was from Ireland.  Don't know how one mistakes my accent for Irish, but I'm going to take that as a compliment.  Anyway, I found a lovely pair of boots on sale in size 4.  I didn't know my UK size, so I went in to see if the boots would work.  I got properly sized, and found out I am exactly a size 4 in UK sizes, so therefore took that as a sign that I was meant to get the boots.  They are quite comfy and a quick check online found that I got them for £5 cheaper than they could be found online.  WIN!
Then, I made my way to the coffee shop and settled in to reading for a bit
So relaxing....
After reading for a bit, I thought I would go shopping up and down the main street, just to see what was around and try to find something for my brother, Graham, who's birthday is February 3rd.  I happened to find him the PERFECT gift, and I'm really excited about it.  However, I don't want to ruin the surprise, so I'll take a picture of it and post that on his birthday.  I need to figure out how to post it, which I will do sometime this next week.  I also found a yarn and craft shop, which is dangerous.  I got some yarn and a crochet needle so that I could make a headband that I had wanted to make for a while.  I ended up making two last night, because they were so quick and easy to make.  Here's where I got the pattern from, which my friend Leslie passed onto me: Headband pattern.
Here's a pic of my headband...well one of them.  I still need to find a button for the second one I made.
I crocheted this with merino blend wool yarn I found at the little craft shop.  So cute.  Leslie will love the shop when she comes to visit in March!
I also decided to have fun with cooking this weekend, I made a chicken, broccoli and gnocchi dish, with pasta sauce and fresh basil (and garlic and onions of course!).  I got some lamb for tonight, along with a bunch of veggies, I'm going to try to make some sort of roast, loosely following a recipe I found online.  I also tried out the bathtub in the second bathroom in my apartment last night, using some muscle soak bubble bath and salts I found at Boots (which is like a CVS).
I went to church this morning.  There was a visiting pastor who was quite good, discussing the value of small congregations in rural areas.  His main message was not to overlook the small!  Very fitting for me, I would say.  I also got to meet two automotive engineers as well, one retired.  The other one just got a permanent position at McLaren automotive and is only in Kenilworth on weekends.  I told them I would like to discuss their careers with them later, as I get more into my work at the University.
I then decided I was going to take my old bread down to the little pond in the park and feed the birds and try to get some neat pictures.  Here is what I came up with:
No fishing!  :)

This little guy was getting ready to jump

I thought these roots looked cool.

I'm in love with these swans that hang out at the pond.

Squirrel!


Pigeon...I think!
Well, I'm off for a run!  I'll post about how the lamb turns out later!

5 comments:

  1. Glad you got to make the headband. It looks much better on you than mine does on me. I think my hair is just the wrong length for it.

    Random question--are the squirrels there as big as the ones here in Indiana? When we moved here from New Orleans, that was one of the weirdest things: the squirrels here are HUGE compared to the ones down there. I don't know if that's because the ones here are giant or the ones there are tiny. Anyway...

    The more you describe it, the more Kenilworth seems like such an idyllic little town. Can't wait to visit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the headband and the kindle/coffee pic looks cozy, except for the coffee bit :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the pictures and I can't wait to visit! I know Graham will love his b-day gifts.
    So the boots make pair number 12....hummmmm.......
    Hope you have enough!
    I love the headband. That is crochet?! Would love to have a simple pattern to make something different from scarfs, handtowels and afghans......
    Good to talk to you this morning. Will be sending along the info you requested later tonight.....
    Glad you got your package in such a timely fashion....gives me great ideas for future stuff...just promise me you will recycle all boxes!!!! ;)
    Talk to you again later this week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi!
    @Leslie- I really do like the headband, I could make a lot of them. Looks like I need to make Melissa a green one. :) I thought your headband (didn't you wear it when we went to Chicago?) looked awesome on you. Random answer- the squirrel that I saw (the one in the pic) so far was not very big at all. I know what you mean though- the squirrels at home are obese.
    @Melissa - YOU WOULD. :) <3
    @Mom- I am sure that Graham will like the gifts, I'm pretty stoked about finding it! And 12 shoes is NO WHERE near enough, but I will make do with what I have. LOL. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That headband looks really good on you! You must be speedy, it'd probably take me forever to make that headband (or I'm really slow lol). No pictures of the boots? I'm disappointed. And I'm jealous! I love feeding duckies :3

    ReplyDelete