Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Hockey! (and Lamb..)

Hello!
Well, I was out pretty late last night, but the game was a fun experience.  We lost (kinda badly) but it was still interesting to watch.  Before the game we went the the Dirty Duck, which is a pub on campus that also sells food.  I had a burger and a Guinness.  The guys from the Formula Student team I was going with were Murray, Sagar, and Quirin.  Murray's roommate, Dave, joined us there and we all went in Murray's car to Coventry to the Ice Stadium.  We got to the stadium about an hour before the game started, so we hung out in the pub attached to the stadium for a bit.  They segregated the University of Warwick students from the Coventry University students by making us use separate entrances.  Since we were coming from the away team, we weren't allowed to use the front entrance.  They also split the seating in half in the stadium, so Warwick people sat on one side, while Coventry people sat on the other side. 
The teams warm up before the game
I got to wear Murray's extra hockey jersey, since he also plays (but not on the varsity team) which was a 2XL and went down to my knees.  I'm sure I looked ridiculous.  Murray took a picture of me on his phone, I'll post it when I get it from him.

The zamboni!!
The zamboni came out after the warm up and resurfaced the ice.  I think it would be fun to be a zamboni driver.  :) 
After the ice was ready, we all stood for the national anthem.  I was glad to find out I knew the tune- they were playing My Country, Tis of Thee!  Which apparently, we stole and changed the words to.  Oh well, I sung the words I knew.... :)
Here's the version I know:

And here's the actual song:

Playing hockey.  University of Warwick players are in the blue jerseys.

Warwick team huddle.
In the first period, Warwick only scored once...but Coventry scored 6 times.  A valent effort was made in the remaining two periods, but the final score was 10-5, Coventry.
Final score.
Overall, though, it was a fun experience.  I had fun taking pictures and trying to understand all the chants and whatnot.  The wave was done through the crowd several times, which is always fun as well.  After the game, Murray was kind enough to give me a ride home, so I didn't have to bike at midnight. 

Anyway, I also meant to post the picture of the lamb roast I tried the other night for dinner.  It was tasty.  Really tasty. 
I got a roll from the bakery, and made lamb gravy with a hint of mint from a mix. 

1 comment:

  1. I am super jelly! Was it just as violet as one would hope?

    ReplyDelete